What is the difference between software and applications, or are they the same? The terms software, application, and program are often used interchangeably, but there are technical differences. Smartphone users are more familiar with the term application than software, but vice versa on PCs. Software translation in Indonesian is “software”. While the application of the translation “application”, is often abbreviated as “Apps”.
Difference between Software and Applications and Programs
Software is programs and other operational information used by computers. Then software may consist of more than one program. An all-encompassing term that is often used as opposed to hardware (the tangible part of a computer that you can hold onto). Examples: Operating system, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Office, Games, and so on. Anything other than computer hardware would be classified as software.
Application (Apps) is a type of software, which is a program or group of programs designed for end users. And application software (apps) is a set of computer programs that allow users to perform a coordinated group of functions, tasks, or activities.
Apps cannot run by themselves but depend on the operating system to run. The applications you use on your desktop or laptop computer are usually desktop applications, while the applications you use on mobile devices are mobile applications. If you need another information about lifestyle choices you can visit this site vegetarianorganiclife
When you operate an app, it can be coordinated by the operating system until you close it. You can operate more than one app at the same time (this is what we call multi-tasking).
There are so many apps available for desktop and mobile and can be categorized into several categories. Some of them have a lot of features (like Microsoft Word). While others only have one or two features (like a clock or calendar).
At this point, you already know the difference between software and applications.
The following are some examples of common apps.
The difference between software and applications on a PC
Category word processor: You use it to write letters, design brochures, and create other documents. The most popular example of a word processor is Microsoft Word. PDF editors also fall into this category.
- Web browser category : tools for surfing the Internet. Even now you can read PDF format files. Most new computers have a web browser installed, but you can also download and install your own browser of choice. Examples of browsers: Internet Explorer (or Edge), Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari.
- Media player category: You use it to listen to MP3 music or watch movies that you have downloaded. Example: Windows Media Player and iTunes, both default on Windows OS and macOS as popular media players.
- Category games (games): applications to play and have fun. There are many games that you can play on your computer. You can spend hours to complete a game. Certain games may even take days to complete.
- Some examples: Solitaire, Halo, Age of Empire, etc. Many action games require high specifications to be able to play them smoothly.
The difference between software and applications on mobile devices
Desktop computers and laptops are not the only devices that can operate apps. You can also download apps for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. The following are some examples of applications for mobile devices.
- Gmail: You can use Gmail to easily receive and send e-mails from your phone. Gmail is available for Android and iOS devices.
- Instagram: You can use Instagram to share photos and videos. This app is available for Android and iOS devices.
- Duolingo: You can use this to learn a new language. Duaolinggo also has quizzes, games and other features. This app is available for Android and iOS devices.
- Telegram: a popular messaging app and superior in several ways when you compare it to WhatsApp. For example, it is more secure, can send large documents, group members can reach thousands, etc. Read more: 8 Functions of the Telegram Application that you will definitely like.
You can download apps for mobile on the Play Store or Apple Store.
Difference between Application and Program
A program is a series of instructions that tell the computer what to do. Regedit, Windows Media Player, and Firefox are apps because they have a Graphical User Interface (GUI). Malware or viruses that infect your computer don’t always have a UI, they are programs.
Read More: ntt-infolead